Sunday, January 29, 2012

What can I, as a 19 year old guy, do to get cheap car insurance?

Right now I'm just looking for cars with small engines and constantly checking on comparison sites to get a good quote... So for I got 拢1900 for a 1L 1999 Vauxhall Corsa, which is still far too expensive, but what else can I do? I know about Pass Plus and other things, but any help/advice/links would really, really help...What can I, as a 19 year old guy, do to get cheap car insurance?
Say you do less mileage than you actually do (ie 1000 miles)

Say your car is parked on a driveway or garage

Add yourself to your mum or dad's policy to get it cheaper
here goes...

add a parent as a named driver
get a quote for fully comp as well (can be cheaper than tpft)
be specific about your job, rather than vague (and choose your job title carefully)
get an ugly yellow car with a piddly little engine and an immobiliser
do the Pass Plus (up to 40% off with some companies, worth its weight in gold)
limit your mileage
park on a private driveway or securely locked garage
increase your voluntary excess
don't modify
don't lie. they do check, especially if you have a bump, and it WILL invalidate your insurance. you can then get prosecuted for driving without insurance.
dont go for the cheapest quote on the comparison website, ring the individual companies as well
(try flux and co-op)

... good luck!What can I, as a 19 year old guy, do to get cheap car insurance?
拢1900 is actually a really cheap price for a 19 year old. If you are not prepared to pay in that order and the same amount or more next year then forget getting a car.



Looks like that is the way it is now for younger potential drivers. At various times as you go through life there will be things you would like to be able to do or have but due to age and/or finances you cannot - for many teens this is how it is now for cars in that just like me and a new Ferrari I don't have enough money.

I grew up in small village in the Midlands with a poor bus service and a motorcycle was the only affordable option then in the late 70s and early 80s until I (and my mates) were 20 and over. The times of loads of money are over and things are gradually changing back to the way they were back then when we were not so affluent
Hello



Apart from those you know about there are 3 things you can do

1/ Insure for reduced mileage. (I'm insured to drive up to 5,000 Miles a year) Instead of normal 10,000.

2/ Crank up the Excess as the higher that is the lower the cost of your insurance.

3/ Add an older family member (Dad and/or Mum) as Named Drivers on your Policy it reduces the cost of your policy and does not affect there's at all.



Andy CWhat can I, as a 19 year old guy, do to get cheap car insurance?
I'm also 19, have an 02 plate corsa and managed to get my insurance down by having some family members on as named drivers. Make sure you only get third party fire and theft and that will also cut the cost down. I put two family members on the insurance, one with about 20 years no claims and it dropped my quote by over 拢600.



Other than that I'm not sure so I hope that helps.
Here's what I tell my insurance company.. all of which help to bring down my premium;



I only drive up to 4000 miles per year

SDP (no commuting)

Car is thatcham approved alarmed

Garaged at night

No modifications

I insure mine at my grandparents which is in a lower risk postcode



Once you get a years NCB it will drop A LOT.
"So for I got 拢1900 for a 1L 1999 Vauxhall Corsa, which is still far too expensive..."



Tough.



Considering that the average for someone your age is 拢4,000, you don't know how lucky you are to get quoted 拢1,900.



Pay it or don't drive - that's dirt cheap, no matter what you might think.
ignore the advice to lie to insurers - that means you aren't insured and they WILL find out if you have a crash.



this is about the rate you should expect to pay. Young males have a 1 in 4 chance of a big crash each year they drive so the rate reflects the risk. Until they stop driving into things, nothing will change.



best bet is to get buses until you are 25.
拢1900 is actually a damn good price for a 19 year old, you'll not get it much lower than that I wouldn't think.

No comments:

Post a Comment