Sunday, February 26, 2012

Curious, what would you do/think in this situation?

I am in high school. This school year, my family and I moved to a small town. The school here is very small, about 5-12 kids a class. Both of my parents work in the schools. My family is very close and open minded. When we moved here, we moved into a very cramped, crappy teacher trailer, for lack of any other place being open. The school said they would help us find a place, or get a new teacher place, but they have yet to do anything. In October, for a very brief time, my sisters and I moved back to our old town, because we felt as if we were being judged for not going to their church here. It's a long story, but because of circumstances, we had to come back. Things got better, but recently my family and I are noticing things. Firstly, I sit in history class everyday and listen to my classmates talk. They come off as very close minded, ignorant republicans, in a scary way. They will believe everything you tell them, and I think they think I'm weird for having more open minded ideas. Secondly, my sister and I are avid readers. We read everything. There are pretty much no readers here. Its like if they read a book outside of class, they'll be going against god. Half my class had never even heard of Hogwarts. I'm not saying they have to read Harry Potter, or even really know about it. But really, teens here are just not exposed to pop culture, like at all. Thirdly, there is not a lot of structure in the school. Rules are unclear, or unspoken of. They don't even have sex ed. A kid in my class asked what contraceptive was yesterday, and we're juniors. I'm just wondering if any of this sounds weird to the rest of the world. Sorry its so long, thank you if you have made it this far!Curious, what would you do/think in this situation?
Small towns have their own culture, and sometimes they don't like outsiders simply because they are outsiders, or because they have different views from the people who have lived there forever. I think that you are in a tough situation, but I also know that it is not unique. During college I met a few people who had either grown up in or moved to small Texas towns when they were in high school. They had all felt uncomfortable and had even been treated badly because they didn't go to the right church or they weren't a part of the junior league, etc. All of these kids decided to go to UT (one of the biggest universities in the country) in order to escape this and to be in a place where you could find a group of people who would accept you no matter what. Since you are a junior and will be going to college relatively soon, this might be something to look forward to.





P.S. Have you ever read the book Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia? Your situation is a whole lot like the main characters' in that book (except for the whole supernatural twist), and I would really recommend reading it.Curious, what would you do/think in this situation?
It does sound a bit weird, somewhat like of a cult. That is just my own opinion, people have changed for the worst. Its really quiet frighting..Curious, what would you do/think in this situation?
yea thats not normal by any means... i mean i live in what is concidered a small town where im from and they r pretty closed minded too but not that much that is really scary....
hmm
  • tangled dvd
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment