Thursday, February 23, 2012

Emotional Pain and Cutting?

Emotional Pain and Cutting?


I first cut when I was 13, I am now almost 16. I started after a very emotional time in my life, It got bad and after about six months I tried to talk to my parents. They told me to "nock it off" and said I was just looking for attention. My older brothers mocked me and wouldn`t help either. I didn`t really understand why I did it, all I knew is that I did it when I was sad. But anyway I haven`t hurt myself for two years, then about four days ago I started again. It felt like everything had been building up and then it just all burst out. I know it sounds stupid but I was listening to this beautiful song and I just started crying and I had to get it out.


My grandma also recently died, I`m having troubles with a relationship and at home. I lost my virginity two months ago, not sure If I`m okay with that.


Ugh the list could keep going, but we all have problems right? It`s just life I don`t know why I cant just handle things like a normal person. I guess the biggest thing that has happened is that someone recently came to me and told me they did sexual things to me when I was little and asked for my forgiveness. Yeah that`s a big one, I feel like that might have something to do with all this but I`m not sure. See I kind of know why I hurt myself! Ha ha





I also have mild anxiety attacks, can`t breath, sitting on the floor etc. Don`t know if that changes things, but I thought I would put it out there.





I don`t want to be mocked and told I am faking it again. But I don`t want to hurt myself and I mean that, I really don`t. And also I am not suicidal, It`s never been so bad that I have even thought about ending it.


So I guess my real questions are:


1. Should I try telling someone again? (and if so who)


2. Do you think I`m depressed, have mood swings, or is there possibly something wrong with me?


3. Are there medications they prescribe to people with self harm problems?


4.(I get adicted to things very easily and very quickly) is it possible that I`m just adicted to the mental relief that the physical pain brings?





Wow, If you just read all that I`m impressed ha ha. (also very grateful) Thank you for any feed back you can give to any of the questions, sorry If I ramble I tried to get all my points in.





Thanks!


Haley|||I think you're in emotional pain, Haley. A lot of pain. That's what's wrong.





And you've had some high stress information about your childhood, the loss of your grandmother, problems in your relationship and at home, and you're concerned about your virginity. If your parents aren't listening to you, that's another major stressor. That's pretty much your whole world. No wonder you're in pain.





Childhood sexual abuse has a lot of long term side effects, including anxiety disorders, depression, relationship problems, and self-destructive coping behaviors, like cutting and other addictions. And like giving up your virginity when you weren't ready. I know, I did the same thing, and I was sexually abused as a child. You're very brave and stoic, but you need a little help with this.





Please seek help from a qualified therapist. You need a support person, someone who understands and will not judge you. If your parents won't pay for it, go to the school counselor and start talking about these things. She can make recommendations that your parents have to follow through with.





Your family doctor or a psychiatrist can prescribe an anti-anxiety/anti-depression medication. I take Wellbutrin because it's mild, not addictive and doesn't cause weight gain or negative sexual side effects. It helps with both depression and anxiety. I also used the antidepressant Effexor with good results and it won't cause weight gain or sexual numbing either. They are the best two antidepressants I've found in 20 years. Get help Sweetheart, you need it and deserve it. God Bless you.|||Yes. It happens. It requires lot of patience and tolerance power. Please don't get disheartened. These are part of life. Time will surely solve everything. Pl. don't worry.|||My advice is go see a doctor. That's the only way you can really get a true diagnosis.|||See a doctor!|||I'm so sorry! And my grandmother just passed away last week. I'm trying to help out one of my guy-friends from Tumblr with cutting and his depression too. I had a pretty deep depression a few years ago but it wore off with age. I think you should get help. If the councilors at your school aren't douchebags like the ones at mine are, trust them with your situation. Make them tell you it's confidential. Maybe even a doctor could help you out- just a regular doctor who gives check ups. Sometimes they pull you aside and ask about if you're going through depression, etc. But I'm emailing someone else about the guy from Tumblr and he has really good advice so maybe he'll help me out with him and I could forward you the email :) timothygazette@gmail.com|||Not judging, but a mentally stable person wouldn't cut themselves so you definitely got a problem. Good news is that most people iin the world whether they realize it or not, are not mentally stable including myself i might add.





First, I would say talk to your guidance counselor if you have one, its basically a free counselling session. I believe that its awesome that you've realized this by yourself and are seeking help, that is an essential first step that you've already taken!!





another thing you can do that I has helped many others cope with mental instability is to meditate.


Here's a good scientific view on meditation:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nwwKbM_vJc (copy and paste the link)





the video is a bit over an hour but if it can help you then it's an hour well spent, if it doesn't help you then you're no worst off then before. I would recommend taking 5 mins everyday after you brush your teeth in the morning or something and just sit and take note of your natural breathing just like in the video.|||The problem with telling somebody is that you don't know how they'll react. You need to be careful on this. When you've find the right person you can trust and who'll understand, tell him/her.





I don't think you're depressed. I've gone through the same things and the mood swings go away. It's just hormones, stress, sadness and so on. You don't know how to handle it so it gives you anxiety attacks. When the situation clears up, and all the stress goes away, the anxiety passes.





I don't know if there are medications for self harming people. What you should do is:


Replace the habit of cutting with something else. Whenever you feel like cutting, go draw a picture instead. Turn on your favorite song and sing to it. Go take a shower (I like showers), just do something you find pleasant. I know that you may not feel like doing it at the time, but just set your mind to it and find a different way to find peace inside.





The mental relief the pain brings is.. just mental. You obviously know it doesn't help to cut. The problem doesn't go away. Every time you want to cut, think to yourself: ''this doesn't help, why am I doing this, I could be doing something fun!'' And go do something fun. Replace the habit.








I have done some self harming too. I was young, like you, and thought it helped.


Now I'm older, have scars, and even though I've been in some very bad situations in my past, hence the cutting, I know it doesn't help and it doesn't give me 'satisfaction' anymore.





Just keep looking for a different way to expres yourself and keep your hopes up.


This too shall pass.|||ok this is wut to do so tell ur parental u need to see the doc u feel sick or somthing right ask parental to leave u alone u wanna see the doc alone or have a private word tell ur doc straight im feeling depressed i have bad anxiety and i heard that antidepressants help for both start your pills dont ever admit u want to harm urself or that u have or will ok very important part or just wait it out or u can start smoking pot i kno its bad but its literaly the same as antidepressant but better not as adictive u got this i have faith in u|||First of all im really sorry to hear your family is less than supportive but an answer to your questions from me would be, you should tell somone, for sure. if your parents arent listening try a school counselor, a trusted teacher, or a church leader if you reliogious. i dont know if you have a chemical imbalance but usually if somone goes to hurt themselves there is something not working right. when am tempted to cut i try to do something active like jumping jacks for five minutes. the reason cutting works so well is cuz after you break the skin adreniline is released and endorphines it feels good, eases the emotional pain. exercise also releases endorphines as for medications, i think my doctor told me thats an option but im not sure what those would be you would need to talk to a doctor about that. and lastly cutting is very addictive so i would not be surprised if you are addicted to it. i wish you a lot of luck in healing from this. and im really glad to hear that you want to change your ways i think this takes a lot of strength.|||hi Haley wow it sounds like your going threw a tough time, between you and me i use to cut myself too. but then i stopped and stared at what was in front of, i said to myself i shouldn't do this. i could change my life. and i did. so sweetie dont continue with all of this weight on your shoulders hell if your family dosent understand you go to a close friend a teacher a counselor trust it helps.


i think you are depressed but its nothing to hide, thats why theris help.


its all the stress going through your mind you have to clear your problems your mind and start new, have faith and confidence in yourself, dont let ppl bring you down keep your head held high|||I'm goin through the same. My heart was broken last summer, and I kept gettin beat on by boys. I recently started cutting myself last week, and I get anxiety attacks. I stopped and improved for months tho.. The key is, talk about this to your closest friend, someone trustworthy.. You need to let the pain out in a different way then cutting yourself. Get your mind off your troubles as much as you can. Don't live for now, live for the future. :)





I hope this helped. I feel your pain, I reallly do. I hope it gets better. And remember, suicide is never an option. Never. Good luck:)!

No comments:

Post a Comment