Monday, February 20, 2012

How do you make an armature for a large sculpture?

How do you make an armature for a large sculpture of human? I want to make it life sized or a bit smaller than life sized. I don't have any fancy tools. I have lots of modelling clay which I'll use. I'm making the model to cover with a papier mache type thing, then I'll remove it and it'll be like a hollow sculpture thingy. I cut it off when the papier mache is rigid enough and then reattach the 2 halves and keep papier macheing the thing. (not firing the clay or anything like that) How do I make an armature for the clay? And also what if I make the model with feet and stuff, what and how should I mount the papier mache thing on? because the papier mache thing will be hollow and very light so I will have to mount it on something but don't know how or what. I've done this before but with just a tiny thing now I want to do a big thing. thanks for help.How do you make an armature for a large sculpture?
Weld a basic armature together of the correct proportions as the finished piece will be heavy. Then you can use newspaper/straw or whatever other filler you can think of. Chicken wire is useful to keep filler in place. After you modeled approximately what you want with your filler you can put your clay on.

No comments:

Post a Comment